Garlic Confit in olive oil with thyme and oregano
Rich, Nutty, Caramelized Garlic Confit that melts in your mouth! Great appetizer or additional ingredient for your recipes. A must-have in the kitchen! You can use both the Garlic and the oil which now is flavored by the slow-poached Garlic and fresh Herbs.
- Sauce pan
- 400 Grams Garlic pealed and clean
- 3 Branches of Fresh Thyme
- 1 tbsp Fresh Oregano
- 2 Small Shallots (optional)
- 1.5 - 2 cups Olive Oil (or more) the oil should cover the cloves
- Peal and clean the Garlic cloves and the shallots
- Put all the ingredients in a small seep cooking pot and pour in olive oil until all is covered.
- Simmer on a very low heat
- you should see tiny bubbles while it cooks. the poaching should be very gentle and slow
- traditionally the garlic is not supposed to gain any color or browning. i myself tend to wait until its slightly golden, it takes about 1.5h - 2h
- once ready let cool and when completely chilled transfer the content to a glass container. make sure that the oil covers the garlics and onions. keep refrigerated up to 3 months.