Here is a really easy recipe for a pickled red onion in a vinegar brine. I added vinegar, sugar, good quality black peppercorns, and dried bay leaves. Great recipe. You do not have to make a large amount. One large onion fills an entire jar and it is kept refrigerated for a long time. Easy 3 months. Within 3 hours of refrigeration and you have pickled onions that you have made from scratch at home and from natural ingredients.
It is possible and even recommended to add Sumac which is an excellent spice that also helps to pickle the onions. I made this recipe without Sumac. Add 1 teaspoon of Sumac for each one onion.
Red Pickled Onion
- A Glass Jar to store your pickled onion
- Mandoline slicer
- 1 Medium Purple Onion
- 1 Cup Hot Boiled Water
- ½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 5-7 Dried Bay Leaves
- 2 Tsp Black Peppercorn
- Slice the onion thinly with a Mandolin Slicer
- In a mixing bowl add the hot water, salt, sugar and stir until fully dissolved.
- Add the vinegar, peppercorns and bay leaves
- Add the sliced onions to the brine and cover with a silver foil or plastic wrap. set aside to let it cool for 3 hours.
- Pour the onions and the brine to the jar you have prepared, cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 months.