Vegan Rice Paper Bureka with Spinach and Feta
Surprisingly crispy on the outside, chewy and yummy on the inside. With the filling of your choice, This rice paper pastry is really easy and awesome. First, because it was fun and easy to make. Second, because it is gluten-free – not that I have any gluten intolerance but balance is always good. This dish is a great Vegan Breakfast with natural ingredients and absolutely delicious!
I made the filling from my vegan baked almond feta cheese, which has a recipe of its own here on the blog. If you want to make the Vegan Almond Feta Cheese yourself, You can click on the link to the Baked Almond Feta Cheese Recipe
The Filling of course can be made with any Vegan Cheese that is good for baking. Or also other vegan hearty fillings.
Sautéed mushrooms or mashed potatoes and onions will go great here! (and would of course upgrade this yummy vegan recipe). A filling of vegan meat such as Beyond ground beef with spices and toppings. Even fruit purees combined with nuts will be amazing as a dessert. The use of rice papers for familiar pastries creates interesting results for classic flavors. New texture and character. Maybe it is even healthier.
The shape I created for it is not mandatory of course. In the same technique of hydrating the rice papers in a bowl of water, it is possible to create any possible shape for this pastry. From triangles, rectangles, and even Vegan Cigars!
Look how pretty it came out! In these very moments, I’m kind of drawn to make many different types of vegan fillings, savory, and sweet.
It’s perfect for your Vegan Brunch, lunch, or early dinner. So easy to make!!
In fact, the only thing that could be construed as complicated here would be deciding what to put in!
so with a few tips and tricks for this recipe, it will be easy for you to improvise a quick meal that will go well with a salad, soup, which could be served as a main dish or a side dish. With a sweet filling, it can be an amazing dessert!
I have a filling that I will make this recipe a lot! LOL
Rice Paper Bureka
- Baking Tray
- Wide Bowl to soak the rice papers in the mixture
For the Rice Papers
- 12 Rice Papers
- 1 Cup Olive Oil or Grape seed Oil
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- 5 Cups Water
- 3 Tsp Sesame Seeds or any other you'd like to sprinkle on top
Spinach and Feta Filling
- 4 Cloves Garlic Sliced
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Bag Fresh Spinach Chopped or 3 cups of frozen spinach
- 1 Cup Vegan Feta Cheese of your choice Crumbled
- ½ Cup Chopped Parsley
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Nutmeg Grated
- ½ Tsp White Pepper
- Sauté the onion and garlic until cooked- on medium high heat in a wide pan.
- Add the spinach and stir until fully cooked.
- Add the crumbled Feta Cheese, spices and chopped parsley and mix well. remove from the stove and let cool.
- Place a parchment paper on a baking tray and rub it generously with oil
- In a wide bowl add the water and Maple syrup
- Dip 6 rice papers for 5-7 seconds and place them on the oiled baking tray right next to the other in such way that they are connected and are covering the tray
- Take the spinach stuffing and place it in a line across the rice paper, so you can roll the paper around the stuffing and wrap it. Roll it all the way, form a snake shape rolled rice paper
- Now that you have a spinach roll, roll the it around itself to form a shape of a snail's shell.
- Place the roll on the side, slightly oil the tray again and do the same for the second one. then place the 2 rolls back on the tray.
- Brush them again with a drizzle of oil and sprinkle sesame seeds or any seeds of your liking
- Bake them in a preheated oven on 200°C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. You can eat them right away as they are ready or you can warm them up again few hours later so they will gain crisp again!